I kind of become attached to our plants during the season. On Monday, our last day at the farm before a short retreat in the Hills, I thanked the basil for doing so well this year. It’s a good thing I did because the plants took a hit Tuesday night and will probably get a bit more tonight. This time of year we struggle trying to decide whether to simply harvest all of something or wait and see. The complete harvest sometimes seems like a good idea. However, that limits how long we’ll have those items at market. On the other hand, if we wait and see…we risk losing the entire crop to frost. Uggh.
I am looking forward to some preserving this weekend. The last of our tomatoes will be roasted and turned into tomato sauce. I have a few eggplant from market last weekend that I plan to make and freeze some eggplant Parmesan. The last of the zucchini will go into a few batches of Zucchini Meatballs. Plus, we have a bunch of bell peppers which I will probably use in frozen bean and cheese burritos. It’s a lot of work, but I love effortlessly pulling these items from our freezer mid-Winter.
This will be the last market for B&G Produce’s Blue Cheese Walnut Pesto. It freezes well and we are making a bunch, so get a few and toss them into your freezer. You will thank us later. Also, this will be the only weekend of the season for Grilled Eggplant with Cilantro & Tamari Hummus. It is unique and delicious!
As a market, we accept credit cards and EBT. Shop vendors who accept cc/EBT and pay once before you leave! Stop at the Market Manager booth to start the process and have fun shopping.
This week’s vendors: B&G Produce, Bad River Pack, hummingbird, Layton’s Produce, Nancy’s Nest
Baked Goods & Bread
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread (hummingbird)
- Beet & Feta Cheese Muffins (Nancy’s Nest)
- Granola (B&G Produce)
- Sunbutter Cookies, made with sunflower butter (Nancy’s Nest)
- PB Power Muffins, gluten free (hummingbird)
- Rustic Bread (B&G Produce)
- Fig & Fennel
- Pepper Jack
- Rustic Millet
Coffee & Beverages (hummingbird)
- Cold Brew
- Lavender Lemonade
- Pour Over Coffee
Coffee Beans (B&G Produce)
- Crocheted Scrubbies (Bad River Pack)
- Felted Wool Bird Decorations (Bad River Pack)
- Felted Wool Pillows (Bad River Pack)
- Knit Dish Cloths & Scrubbies (Bad River Pack)
- Upcycled Refrigerator Magnets (B&G Produce)
Farm Fresh Eggs (Nancy’s Nest)
Farm to Table (B&G Produce)
- Blue Cheese Walnut Pesto
- Grilled Eggplant with Cilantro & Tamari
Four Legged Friends (B&G Produce)
- Catnip Toys
From The Garden
- Apples (Layton’s Produce)
- Broccoli (Layton’s Produce)
- Carrots (B&G Produce, Layton’s Produce)
- Celery (B&G Produce)
- Cucumbers (Layton’s Produce)
- Eggplant (B&G Produce)
- Herbs (B&G Produce)
- Kale (B&G Produce)
- Pea Shoots (B&G Produce)
- Pears (Layton’s Produce)
- Peppers, hot & sweet (B&G Produce, Layton’s Produce)
- Summer Squash (B&G Produce) – last of the season!
- Swiss Chard (B&G Produce)
- Tomatoes (Layton’s Produce)
- Winter Squash, Spaghetti (B&G Produce)
- Zucchini (B&G Produce) – last of the season!
Honey (Nancy’s Nest)
- Beef (Nancy’s Nest)
- Ground Beef
- Rump, limited supply
- Sirloin Tip
- T-Bone, limited supply
- Stew Meat
- Beef Jerky (Bad River Pack)
- Chicken Snack Sticks (Bad River Pack)
- Pemmican (Bad River Pack)
- Summer Sausage Snack & Meat Sticks (Bad River Pack)
Where? Public Parking lot on the corner of Sioux Avenue and Coteau Street (1 block east of downtown Pierre)
When? Saturday, 9am-noon
Why? Embrace fall with some winter squash and apples…did someone say soup?
Be sure to Like us on Facebook @capcityfarmersmarket and Follow us on Instagram and Twitter. You may also follow our website for weekly updates.
Please share this with anyone who might be interested. If you are reading this and would like to sign up for our weekly email, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you know anyone interested in selling produce, baked goods, meat/poultry, eggs, or craft items, please have them visit our website, call or email Julie Bolding at 224.4348 or email@example.com.
See you Saturday!