Many of you have asked if we were affected by the hail storm Tuesday. We were, but luckily the farm was right on the edge. Did we have loss? Yes. Could it have been much worse? Definitely, yes. So, we’re thankful for the relatively minimal damage. This was a rough week for farmers in the area, though. If they were lucky enough to get crops in this spring, some of them lost everything on Tuesday evening. I grew up a farmer’s daughter. Watching the large hail stones hit the ground minute after minute, stress levels increasing with each of those passing minutes. I have no doubt, many of those farmers were out as soon as the storm passed, assessing damages. These are some of the most dedicated and hardest workers around. Next time you see a farmer, whether small or large-scale, please thank them for what they do.
Well…we had a classic summer meal last night. Sweet corn and BLT’s. Honestly, though, does it get any better? If you need help with that question, the answer is “no”. It does not get any better. I may have that same meal again tonight. And, tomorrow. And, the next day. Repeat.
You will be so happy, because we will have local honey again this weekend! Pfeifer Beekeepers, a new vendor, will be at market with honey. Get yours before it sells out!
We are excited to welcome back the Right Turn this weekend. If you missed them last weekend, be sure to check out their booth this Saturday. They are showcasing artwork created by students and staff. Cards and prints will be available with donations to support their education programs. Staff will be available to provide information about upcoming classes and answer questions.
Lastly, this weekend is Crazy Days downtown. Our friend, Antonio, at Gallo’s will be set up beginning at 8am with breakfast burritos and other delicious items! Brewbirds coffee truck will be set up, pony rides, face painting, and a balloon artist!
As a market, we accept credit cards and EBT. Shop vendors who accept cc/EBT and pay once before you leave! Stop at the Market Manager booth to start the process and have fun shopping.
This week’s vendors: B&G Produce, Beverly Duffel, Flavorgasm, Grady & Rayya’s Sweet Corn, Nancy’s Nest, Pfeifer Beekeepers, Right Turn, Vogel Produce
Activities & More
- Right Turn showcasing student and staff artwork, free will donation to purchase
Baked Goods & Bread
- Cupcakes (Flavorgasm)
- Boston Cream
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Sea Salt & Caramel Centers, Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- Peach Cobbler Cupcakes, Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Curd Centers, Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Organic Ingredients
- B&G Granola (B&G Produce)
- Nut Granola, gluten free (Nancy’s Nest)
- Sunbutter Cookies, gluten free (Nancy’s Nest)
- Rustic Bread (B&G Produce)
- Blue Cheese Bacon
- Cinnamon Raisin Walnut
- Honey Toasted Oat
- Parmesan & Black Pepper
Beef (Nancy’s Nest)
- Baby Items (Beverly Duffel)
- Burp Rags
- Crochet Sweater Sets
- Bowl Cozies (Beverly Duffel)
- Cards & Prints, free will donation (Right Turn)
- Potholders (Beverly Duffel)
- Storage Boxes (Beverly Duffel)
- Table Runners & Toppers (Beverly Duffel)
- Tea Towels (Beverly Duffel)
- Wall Hangings (Beverly Duffel)
Farm Fresh Eggs (Nancy’s Nest)
Farm to Table (B&G Produce)
- Roasted Garlic Chipotle
- Pesto, Basil Kale
From the Garden
- Basil (B&G Produce)
- Beets (Vogel Produce)
- Cabbage (B&G Produce)
- Cucumbers (Vogel Produce)
- Dill (Vogel Produce)
- Green Beans (Vogel Produce)
- Kale (B&G Produce)
- Onions (B&G Produce, Vogel Produce)
- New Potatoes (B&G Produce, Vogel Produce)
- Pea Shoots (B&G Produce)
- Peppers (Vogel Produce)
- Peppers, Padron (B&G Produce)
- Summer Squash (B&G Produce)
- Sweet Corn (Grady & Rayya’s Sweet Corn)
- Tomatoes (Vogel Produce)
- Zucchini (B&G Produce)
Honey (Pfeifer Beekeepers)
Where? Public Parking lot on the corner of Sioux Avenue and Coteau Street (1 block east of downtown Pierre)
When? Saturday, 9am-noon
Why? Summer eating at its best…and at your fingertips!
Be sure to Like us on Facebook @capcityfarmersmarket and Follow us on Instagram and Twitter. You may also follow our website (capcitymarket.com/) for weekly updates.
Please share this with anyone who might be interested. If you are reading this and would like to sign up for our weekly email, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you Saturday!