Well, Matt had an encounter this week. An encounter with a 3-ft bull snake in one of our outlying garden plots, rightfully named “Snake Butte”. Luckily, he stepped on Small Steve and not Big Ben, the 6-ft bull snake who also lives in this plot. Matt and Steve were equally scared of each other, but Matt made a lot more noise and many more movements than Steve. Although a true fright, we appreciate having the bull snakes around for rodent control and to help keep rattle snakes away. Does this have me looking forward to tomato harvests? No. No, it does not.
Ok, onto the weekend. Hummingbird’s back for your strolling beverage pleasure. Produce keeps rolling in and, of course, we’ll have delectable desserts, baked goods, and bread.
MOPS will have their playhouse set up and will be selling raffle tickets to win the fun house! They will also be doing a bake sale to raise money for MOPS programs.
As soon as produce is plentiful, we try to make veg-centered meals. I’ve been leaning heavy on poke bowls the last couple weeks. A basic sushi rice base topped with a tamari-based sauce and variety of fresh vegetables makes for a lovely meal. Tonight, ours will have roasted sweet potato (stored from last season!), pea shoots, carrots, green garlic, and broccoli. I’ve also made varieties using fresh ahi tuna (thanks, CHOPS) and roasted salmon. They have all been heavenly and I’m sure we’ll be eating them all summer.
As a market, we accept credit cards and EBT. Shop vendors who accept cc/EBT and pay once before you leave! Stop at the Market Manager booth to start the process and have fun shopping.
This week’s vendors: B&G Produce, Beverly Duffel, Bub’s Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens, Flavorgasm, hummingbird, Nancy’s Nest
Activities & More
- Face Painting with Amanda!
- Father’s Day Card Kids Craft
- Prairie Potters Master Gardeners
- MOPS playhouse & bake sale
Baked Goods & Bread
- Angel Food Cake (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Cupcakes (Flavorgasm)
- Cookie Dough
- Honey Vanilla
- Raspberry Lemonade
- Red Velvet
- Muffins, peanut butter banana oatmeal (hummingbird)
- Organic Ingredients
- Granola (B&G Produce)
- Cookies, triple chocolate chip (Nancy’s Nest)
- Lemon Coconut Melt-Aways, gluten free (Nancy’s Nest)
- Muffins, beet & feta cheese with orange streusel (Nancy’s Nest)
- Samples of Nut Granola, gluten free (Nancy’s Nest)
- Rustic Bread (B&G Produce)
- Cranberry Almond Orange
- Jalapeno Cheddar
- Rosemary Gruyere
- Six Seed
- Shortbread, coconut lime (hummingbird)
- Cold Brew Coffee
- Lavender Lemonade
- Pour Over Coffee
Canned Goods (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Bloody Mary Pickled Eggs
- Pickled Asparagus
- Pickled Beets
Creative Items (Beverly Duffel)
- Baby Items
- Burp Rags
- Crochet Sweater Sets
- Bowl Cozies
- Storage Boxes
- Table Runners & Toppers
- Tea Towels
- Wall Hangings
Eggs (B&G Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens, Nancy’s Nest)
Farm to Table
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust, gluten free (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Hummus (B&G Produce)
- Roasted Garlic Chipotle
From The Garden
- Asparagus (Bub’s Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Beets (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Bok Choi (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Broccoli (B&G Produce)
- Carrots (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Green Garlic (B&G Produce)
- Kale (B&G Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Lemon Balm (B&G Produce)
- Lettuce (B&G Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Napa Cabbage (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Pea Shoots (B&G Produce)
- Radishes (B&G Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Rhubarb (B&G Produce)
- Spinach (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Sugar Snap Peas (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Tarragon (B&G Produce)
Plants (Beverly Duffel)
- Moss Roses
Where? Public Parking lot on the corner of Sioux Avenue and Coteau Street (1 block east of downtown Pierre)
When? Saturday, 9am-noon
Why? Rhubarb crisp can be breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Be sure to Like us on Facebook @capcityfarmersmarket and Follow us on Instagram and Twitter. You may also follow our website (capcitymarket.com/) for weekly updates.
Please share this with anyone who might be interested. If you are reading this and would like to sign up for our weekly email, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you know anyone interested in selling produce, baked goods, meat/poultry, eggs, or craft items, please have them visit our website (capcitymarket.com/), call or email Julie Bolding at 224.4348 or email@example.com.
See you Saturday!