From the market perspective, we’re just getting started. From the garden perspective, we’ve been working on planning and projects since mid-December. If we’ve learned anything over the last ten years of farming, it’s that we need to be ready to adjust. We adjusted our garden plan when our high tunnel succumbed to the March winter storm. We have been adjusting our planting successions continuously over the last couple months due to the cold, wet spring. And, our biggest adjustment this season has been my going back to work full-time while Matt continues full-time work on the farm. While these adjustments are, at times, frustrating and depressing, they are also necessary to make our business work. So, while I miss being at the farm day in and day out, I find myself enjoying market days even more. I also relish sitting down with Matt at the end of his day and talking about farm progress over dinner and a glass of wine. Onward.
We are holding our first online contest of the season! After you shop at market, show off a picture of your market haul on our Facebook market post from this week. Doing this will enter you into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate from Maggie at One Brand Beef on June 8!!
Lauren with hummingbird is making her first appearance of the season! Matt is so excited to have some of her Sumatra pour over coffee Saturday morning. Excuse him if he pushes you to get in the front of her line. Also, Bub’s Produce is overflowing with asparagus, so they will be joining us at market Saturday. You know the drill. Shop, grill, enjoy.
Make sure the kiddos stop over to the Free Craft booth and Paint Their Own Sun Catcher! Then, stop by and have Amanda paint something amazing on their faces or hands. While the kids are occupied, chat with the Master Gardeners about your most challenging garden questions.
Lastly, we’d love to have you join us on our Vendor Cruise and Picnic on The Sunset next weekend (June 8). We will depart at 1pm for a lovely afternoon cruise. Pre-order tickets here.
As a market, we accept credit cards and EBT. Shop vendors who accept cc/EBT and pay once before you leave! Stop at the Market Manager booth to start the process and have fun shopping.
This week’s vendors: B&G Produce, Bab’s Bites ‘n Bones, Beverly Duffel, Bub’s Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens, Flavorgasm, Haiwick Heritage Ranch, hummingbird, Nancy’s Nest
Activities & More
- Face Painting by Amanda!
- Kids Activity: Paint Your Own Sun Catcher (sponsored by Venner Farm)
- Ask a Master: Prairie Potters Master Gardeners
Baked Goods & Bread
- Angel Food Cake (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Apple Walnut Muffins (Bab’s Bites ‘n Bones)
- Blueberry Coconut Scones (Bab’s Bites ‘n Bones)
- Coffee Cake (hummingbird)
- Cupcakes (Flavorgasm)
- Carrot Vanilla Bean
- Chocolate Espresso
- Coconut Mango
- Vanilla Rhubarb
- Lemon Rosemary Shortbread (hummingbird)
- Organic Ingredients
- Cookies, chocolate dipped cheesecake (Nancy’s Nest)
- Dairy Free, Egg Free, Gluten Free Items (Nancy’s Nest)
- Almond Macaroons
- Chocolate Brownie Parfait
- Cookies, coconut lemon melt-away
- Granola (B&G Produce)
- Rugelach, chocolate hazelnut (Nancy’s Nest)
- Rustic Bread (B&G Produce)
- Asiago Thyme
- Rustic Wheat
- White Chocolate Blueberry
Beef (Haiwick Heritage Ranch)
- Filet Mignon
- Ground Beef
- NY Strip
- Short Ribs
- Skirt & Flank Steak
- Soup Bones
- Tenderized Round Steak
- Cold Brew Coffee
- Lavender Lemonade, limited supply
- Pour Over Coffee
Canned Goods (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Bloody Mary Pickled Eggs
- Dill Pickles, spicy
- Pickled Asparagus
Creative Items (Beverly Duffel)
- Baby Items
- Burp Rags
- Crochet Sweater Sets
- Bowl Cozies
- Storage Boxes
- Table Runners & Toppers
- Tea Towels
- Wall Hangings
- Beverly will have a 50% off table this weekend!
Eggs (B&G Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens, Nancy’s Nest)
Farm to Table
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust, gluten free (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Hummus (B&G Produce)
- Cilantro Jalapeno
Four-Legged Friends (Bab’s Bites ‘n Bones)
- Dog Biscuits
- Hearty Beef, small & medium size
- Savory Chicken, small & medium size
From The Garden
- Asparagus (B&G Produce, Bub’s Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Beets (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Bok Choi (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Carrots (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Chives (B&G Produce)
- Green Garlic (B&G Produce)
- Lettuce (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Pea Shoots (B&G Produce)
- Radishes (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Rhubarb (B&G Produce, Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Scallions (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Spinach (Cedar Creek Gardens)
- Spring Onions (B&G Produce)
Honey (Nancy’s Nest)
Seedlings (B&G Produce)
Where? Public Parking lot on the corner of Sioux Avenue and Coteau Street (1 block east of downtown Pierre)
When? Saturday, 9am-noon
Why? We are nearing the longest day of the year. It’s time to start enjoying the weather and all of the local products we have to offer!
Be sure to Like us on Facebook @capcityfarmersmarket and Follow us on Instagram and Twitter. You may also follow our website (capcitymarket.com/) for weekly updates.
Please share this with anyone who might be interested. If you are reading this and would like to sign up for our weekly email, send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you know anyone interested in selling produce, baked goods, meat/poultry, eggs, or craft items, please have them visit our website (capcitymarket.com/), call or email Julie Bolding at 224.4348 or email@example.com.
See you Saturday!