As I write this today, my window is open letting the warm breeze flow through. And even though it’s a nice, warm day, I can see Fall. The shrubs in our backyard are starting to turn crimson as are the apples on our tree. Our basil has slowed down to a crawl, indicating cool weather ahead. And, the Deadon cabbage in one of our front yard raised beds has visibly started to turn darker purple, letting us know it is enjoying the cool evenings.
One of my favorite cool weather meals is this Lamb & Kale Stew. The spices, especially the garam masala (available at Dakotamart), make the whole house smell amazing and inviting. Pick up some ground lamb or ground beef, either work well, from Hanisch Farms. Grab some kale from B&G Produce. And then grab a winter squash from either of us. This will be a perfect weekend to let this stew simmer on your stove while you curl up with a book, wrapped in your BLC Ranch wool sweater, and lounge on the couch. Finish off your meal with an apple pie from Nancy’s Nest. Warm it in the oven for a bit. Then enjoy her amazingly flaky crust and sweet apple filling.
Another signal Fall is quickly approaching…this is the last weekend for B&G Produce’s Blue Cheese Walnut Pesto. Get it Saturday because it won’t be available again until next summer!
As a market, we accept credit cards and EBT. Shop all the vendors and pay once before you leave! Stop at the Market Manager booth to start the process and have fun shopping.
This week’s vendors: B&G Produce, BLC Ranch, Hanisch Farms, Nancy’s Nest
Baked Goods & Bread
- Buttermilk Biscuits (B&G Produce)
- Cheddar Bacon
- Cinnamon Raisin with Icing – samples available
- Cookies (Nancy’s Nest)
- Organic Oatmeal Raisin
- Organic Triple Chocolate Chip
- Organic Apple Pie, 6” & 9” (Nancy’s Nest) – NEW!!
- Organic Blueberry Sweet Bread (Nancy’s Nest) – NEW!!
- Organic Cinnamon Rolls, caramel (Nancy’s Nest)
- Organic Granola – samples available (B&G Produce)
- Organic Hoagie Rolls (Nancy’s Nest) – NEW!!
- Rustic Bread (B&G Produce)
- Asiago Thyme
- Caramelized Onion Rye – NEW!!
- White Chocolate Blueberry
Coffee Beans (B&G Produce)
- Icelandic Wool Items (BLC Ranch)
- Adult Ponchos
- Baby Sweaters
- Dryer Balls
- Fingerless Mitts
- Pumpkins – NEW!!
- Wool, lamb & regular (BLC Ranch)
Farm Fresh Eggs (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
Farm to Table (B&G Produce)
- Blue Cheese Walnut Pesto – Last time this season! – samples available
- Hummus – samples available
- Herbed Artichoke
From The Garden
- Beets (Hanisch Farms)
- Cabbage (B&G Produce)
- Carrots (Hanisch Farms)
- Celery (B&G Produce)
- Cherry Tomatoes (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Chives (B&G Produce)
- Armenian (B&G Produce)
- Slicers (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Bulk Discount from B&G Produce
- Eggplant (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Iceberg Lettuce (B&G Produce)
- Kale (B&G Produce) – Recipe Idea!!
- Leeks (B&G Produce)
- Okra (B&G Produce)
- Onions (Hanisch Farms)
- Parsley (B&G Produce)
- Pea Shoots – samples available (B&G Produce)
- Bell Peppers (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Hot Peppers (B&G Produce)
- Padron (B&G Produce)
- Potatoes (B&G Produce)
- Scallions (B&G Produce)
- Shallots (B&G Produce)
- Spaghetti Squash (B&G Produce) – NEW!!
- Summer Squash (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Swiss Chard (B&G Produce)
- Canning (Hanisch Farms) – If interested in large amount, please place order by Friday the 22nd at noon, contact information available at hanischfarms.com
- Slicers (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Zucchini (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms)
- Winter Squash (B&G Produce, Hanisch Farms) – NEW!! – Recipe Idea!!
Meat (Hanisch Farms)
- Lamb – Recipe Idea!!
- Ham Products – Sale!
- Taking Orders for Holiday Meats!!
Where? Public Parking lot on the corner of Sioux Avenue and Coteau Street (1 block east of downtown Pierre)
When? Saturday, 9am-noon
Why? A hearty fall stew is better when it’s a local hearty fall stew.
Be sure to Like us on Facebook @capcityfarmersmarket. You can also follow our blog (https://capcitymarket.wordpress.com/) for weekly updates.
Please share this with anyone who might be interested. If you are reading this and would like to sign up for our weekly email, send your request to email@example.com.
If you know anyone interested in selling produce, baked goods, meat/poultry, eggs, or craft items, please have them visit our blog (https://capcitymarket.wordpress.com/), call or email Julie Bolding at 224.4348 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you Saturday!